Live video of Attack on Pope Benedict Last Night Print
Written by Sherry   
Friday, 25 December 2009 09:33
Close up live video of the attack on the Pope last night at Christmas Mass. The man who took this video says that he thinks it was the same woman who tried to get to Pope Benedict last year as he exited the same Mass. Clearly, they will be seriously re-thinking the Pope's security after this.

What is obvious is that the woman did reach Pope Benedict and pulled him down as she went down. And that he went down hard.

While the Pope is remarkably energetic, the thought of any 82 year old man being pulled down in that fashion onto a hard marble floor makes you wince.

We must pray for any injury and pain he may have suffered. To have gone on with the long liturgy, and with no obvious signs of pain, after something like this, is the response of very tough and courageous man.



H/T American Papist.

Update:

They have identified the woman attacker and she was the same person who tried this last year. Via My Way news:

Lombardi identified the woman who toppled Benedict as Susanna Maiolo, 25, a Swiss-Italian national with psychiatric problems. He said Maiolo, who was not armed, was taken to a clinic for necessary treatment.

She was the same woman involved in a similar incident at last year's Midnight Mass, Vatican officials said. In that case, Maiolo jumped the barricade but never managed to reach the pope and was quietly tackled by security.
In both cases she wore a red sweat shirt.


The Pope gave his traditional Urbi et Orbi talk on Christmas Day and gave pilgrims Christmas greetings in 65 languages. He seemed a little unsteady but otherwise fine. Cardinal Etchegaray has a broken hip (at age 87!) and will be operated on.